Psychotherapy helps patients identify and overcome challenges in life — from depression, anxiety, stress, other mental health disorders, or even a difficult change in life like divorce. The medical experts at RobinsPsych in the Hub, Bronx, NY, and in Columbus Circle, Manhattan, NY provide a wide range of psychotherapies to help patients overcome problems, keep their life on track, and get back to enjoying each day.
Psychotherapy Q & A
Psychotherapy is a general term for different types of talk therapies that are conducted by a trained therapist. Psychotherapy is used with the goal of helping patients identify and change troubling emotions, thoughts, and behaviors. Psychotherapy can often be used to help patients learn how to cope with a specific problem by giving them the needed ability to overcome that specific challenge. Psychotherapy is also used as a means of support to help patients through a hard time.
Psychotherapy sessions can be done privately, with a therapist, or in a group setting, where others with similar challenges get together for conversation. In both types of therapy, the participants will talk about their past and current problems, thoughts, feelings, experiences and relationships. The therapist will then use this information to provide insight and make connections. The different types of therapy will determine the specific interactions that will occur during the sessions.
What are the different types of psychotherapies?
The therapists at RobinsPsych conduct many different types of psychotherapies to help overcome mental illness, behavioral challenges and emotional trauma. Together with the patient they choose which treatment will be most effective for them. The most common type of psychotherapy include:
- Interpersonal therapy
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- Cognitive therapy
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
How do you know if you need psychotherapy?
It can be difficult to know whether your feelings and behaviors are part of the normal ups and downs of life or need professional assistance. If you have any questions, doubts or concerns, book an appointment with the therapists at RobinsPsych for help. In the meantime, ask yourself:
- Do you feel overwhelmed by problems or stress?
- Are you able to engage in life and fulfill your daily activities and responsibilities?
- Have you missed more time from work or school than usual?
- Do you feel stuck and unable to get past your current problems?
- Does being with friends and family make you feel exhausted or uncomfortable?
- Do you spend less time with your children than you used to?
- Has your mood been low for a few weeks?
- Do you often worry or think about bad things that have happened or might happen?
- Have you noticed changes in your body, such as less energy, or changes in appetite and sleep?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, consider your distress level and general ability to function each day. When thoughts, feelings or behaviors make daily life a challenge, it’s time to consult RobinsPsych to see if you should consider treatment. Call us today at one of our convenient locations at RobinsPsych offices in the Hub, Bronx, NY, and in Columbus Circle, Manhattan, NY.